Re: browsing over ssh

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: browsing over ssh
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:43:40 +0100

Hi Michael,

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
On 08/11/13 Riccardo Mottola said:

I totally stand to that. It is nto a job of the file-manager. You
need ssh, other asked me to put FTP logic, others will need samba
and so on. Then you have to handle all that "tmp" file stuff if the
destination files are not readable or not openable with fopen(), etc
etc.

When I see how it works on mac or windows, I just don't like it. I
never tried nautilus in that regard, to be honest.
On the other hard, I don't liek FUSE either, especially outside
linux, so I understand your dislike too.
Yeah, I get the argument for hating the gnome vfs. Some mechanism to
dynamically kick off the mount would help. Maybe I'll come up with something.
well, technically, GWorkspace can call "mount" for selected mount points. So you can mount USB keys or hard disks.

If you can mount something with "mount" and have the rights as user to do so, GWorkspace can mount it, barren bugs.

On HURD it would all just work fine with a translator ;)
Does HURD like, exist?

Well, it is better than you think. But it is not really usable like BSD or Linux, but it improved a lot.

Riccardo