RE: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Slex Sangiuliano
Subject: RE: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 17:40:57 +0000

> Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
> From: richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:33:47 +0000
> To: greg.casamento@gmail.com
> CC: mah@jump-ing.de; discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
>

> On 23 Nov 2013, at 08:48, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm in agreement with this. I've been saying this for many years. I would like to call for a consensus on this matter. Are there any dissenting opinions to changing the default look?
>
> Yes!
>
> Show me the theme you want to switch to, and then we can talk about it (I'm easily persuaded if something makes sense). I would have thought that an iOS style theme might be popular.
> But until we have at least one fully working alternative theme to switch to (or better, a number of themes to select from), discussing switching is nothing but a waste of time.
>
> Actually, even the argument that the *default* theme puts people off is really nonsense ... if people see something that puts them off, is is what they *see* that puts them off, not whether what they see is *default*.
>
> Put screenshots of GNUstep looking 'sexier' on the website. Make them more prominent than the existing theme by all means (eg. put them first and bigger). To find out which works best (ie is most popular) we could have some sort of click-through or download counter.

I'm pretty sure sure that this one was proposed in the past:

http://www.cappuccino-project.org/aristo/showcase/

It looks clean, simple, no frills; the only problem is that it looks similar to cocoa, but does this really matter?

It also can be studied as a base  to start one from scratch

Alex (Slex),

cheers