Another GUI (Re: This thing we called GNUstep)

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Another GUI (Re: This thing we called GNUstep)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 12:35:53 -0600

In article <mailman.9849.1387577879.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:53:25 -0500
> schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> :
>
> > What is more effective is to change GNUstep's look so that it appeals to a
> > wider audience
>
> do we need another GUI?

We're going to get one, but not what you're thinking.  I've made this
point elsewhere, but it bears repeating: iOS should not be seen as a
revolution in mobile phones, but a revolution of the touch GUI.  It did
*happen* to be on the mobile phone, but what I think was the root of the
success was that it gave a strong metaphor to touch that was not
widespread before.  All other "touch" GUIs followed the same WIMP
metaphor that Apple popularized on the desktop.  Treating touch as
something different was a breakthrough.

So, yes, we'll have at least one more GUI.  The interface that is
everywhere, tried and tried again, but still hasn't had a breakthrough
metaphor is 3D.  I can envision some equally desktop-breaking ones, but
I think they are really beyond the (current) scope of the GNUstep
project.

> And even if it would happen, will any user of a
> popular UI dump it in favour of GNUstep?

Given how the desktop market is being *destroyed* by touch interfaces,
it is quite likely a truly new UI could change the world.  But, of
course, that is not what is being discussed when people rush to re-skin
a window manager.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,