Re: What is the best place to start gdnc, gpbs and make_services?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: What is the best place to start gdnc, gpbs and make_services?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 18:28:46 +0100

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
Currently I start my GUI sessions with startx, so I have the following ~/.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
exec wmaker &
GWorkspace

I now wonder if there are alternate ways to start an X-session under my circumstances and if launching gpbs and GWorkspace in some sort of Windowmaker startup script (not good if the User installs another Windowmanager I guess).

If you're the type of user who uses xinit (i.e. environment/framework developer, hacker, enthusiast), then the approach with using .xinitrc is the most universal, I guess.

For targeting most other users, the most universal way you can handle this is to comply with freedesktop.org spec, optionally supporting windowmaker, icewm, etc.

Even better would be if windowmaker et al would just support the freedesktop.org spec, but eh.

But your hint probably was more thought towards the GUI developers to integrate such a mechanism into the code or I am mistaken here?

Approach with using fdo's autostart .desktop files would be appropriate for people who use desktop environments, who want to target users who use desktop environments, or are developing desktop environments. :-)

And the comment about 'patching this into gnustep-gui' refers to the fact that if gnustep-gui's makefile {un,}installed .desktop files for gpbs and gdnc into ${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS:-/etc/xdg/autostart}, that would mean that end users and distributions don't have to think about having to start these required background services...