Re: What is the best place to start gdomap, gdnc and gpbs?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: What is the best place to start gdomap, gdnc and gpbs?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:56:16 +0200

Hi Lars,

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

In other words I don't need to launch make_services neither in .profile nor in
.xinitrc but only need to run it manually once after installing applications?

Exactly. make_services essentially keeps track of all apps and all document types, so that you can "gopen mydocument" in a shell or double-click on an document in a workspace application like GWorkspace. No new apps, no need to run it again. Ideally, in a purely package-based install system, you would need to run it as a "post-install" action.
What would be the of starting gdnc and gdomap systemwide before somebody logs
in? Would it be needed for GNUstep based demons or is there another idea beind
using rc.d init?

The documentation of gdnc
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Tools/Reference/gdnc.html says:
"Every user needs to have his own instance of gdnc running." So I am a bit
confused.

Indeed, perhaps i am wrong, only gdomap can be system-wide. About gdnc I don't know. If it auto-starts you get more than one, actually not just for any user, but even if you have more displays (IIRC)

But somehow I never see a "gdomap" process appearing in top when I look for it.

Richard may correct me, but if you use unix sockets and your programs run locally (normal desktop use) it is esentially not needed.
On GNU/HURD where you don't have unix sockets, you don't need it.

Riccardo