Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:21:38 +0100

Thom,

Thom Cherryhomes wrote:
Why is it? I am trying to put a very visual and demonstrative face on what I am experiencing, in the hope of disrupting the community out of its apparent complacency.

you claim apparent complacency. Let me state some clear things.

Summed up very tightly, your video is about building an application natively on windows using ProjectCenter.

A couple of years ago, when I started working on the applications I now deploy on windows, there was no WinUX theme at all. Most application wouldn't even start, or would crash and look absurdly bad.
Now as your video itself shows, there is "something".

ProjectCenter itself was extremely crashy on Unix too: syntax coloring was mostly broken, as was class parsing or parenthesis highlighting. It was easy to get it to crash with certain files and method names. Now it improved a lot. It also allows, even if crudely, to use compilers different than gcc (e.g. egcs or clang) it allows you to use gmake on NetBSD, it allows you to at east "try your luck" on windows.

I would say improvement on all fronts and a constant one.. I can think of only very "few" regressions. Thus you can't speak of stagnation, but only of slow progress. Why is there slow progress? because few people area actively identifying and resolving bugs.

Riccardo