Re: Emacs Anyone?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Emacs Anyone?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 00:21:31 +0200

Hi,

On 04/03/17 10:14, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
The Objective-C runtime system itself is initialized properly. It's only that the Objective-C classes used in the emacs source code itself aren't initialized. If the initialization flag would be reset in the dumped executable, everything works fine. I even did this manually (checking for the offset of the flag in gdb and using a hex editor to reset that storage location) and got a fully working GNUstep Emacs on NetBSD x86. Unfortunately, since this flag is a private static variable, there is no obvious way to determine that address programmatically. One could venture a guess that the startup code's private variables are located at the beginning of the data section and modify the Emacs dumping process to copy the first few bytes (but how many exactly?) from the original program image rather than the data section of the running process, but this would be the gross hack I mentioned earlier.

thus GSInitializeProcess() is not enough, because all the emacs obj-c classes are "empty" ?

Not sure what your problems are. I've compiled emacs on Ubuntu 16.04 (i386, haven't tried x86_64) and it works as well as any other GNUstep application for me.

Hmm.. I have tried on Linux/i386 too. I need minor patches and configure with a very simple line:

./configure --with-ns

No hacks involved to pass configure, but Emacs starts up with an empty window, no toolbar, no text, but a cursor. I can type in it and see the typing. The status bar below however displays a character and the menus come up complete. Screenshot attached.

If I try to open a file using the menu, I the file browser but then I get a message in the status window "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

Riccardo