Re: PrjectCenter (and Gorm) ask for old gnustep-base library in FreeBSD

From: Bertrand Gmail
Subject: Re: PrjectCenter (and Gorm) ask for old gnustep-base library in FreeBSD 11.1
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:03:53 +0100

Negative rect width seems pretty bad both on the side of -gui (should it throw an exception?) and on the side of the app (should it be causing things to create negative width rects?)

E.g the above exception originates from: https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/blob/master/Source/GSThemeTools.m#L506

Something has been setting the width to negative before this exception.

    You can change the ShowTabBar setting for Terminal with :

             defaults write Terminal ShowTabBar NO

    But then don't open any new tab in Terminal or don't hit the #t
    and #T shortkeys again.
    The latter one's are problematic because I often use #t in
    GWorkspace to open a new Terminal window.

    I don't know if this bug is in Terminal itself or in gui. But I
    don't have any problem in GWorkspace for instance.

    Maybe some smart fellow on this list could correct this bug. I'm
    not able to do this.

What did you try so far to track this down?

I've found this when the relevant code for tabs in Terminal was introduced last year and told it to Riccardo. He answered me he couldn't work on it, but that the code was pretty standard and it should have work.

For now, I can reproduce this bug with the 3 themes Rik, Nesedah and Narcissus (as I told).

I had created the tabs in Rik using the same method as in Nesedah, so they share the same way to handle them : GSTabView*.png files are provided by these themes in their "Resources/Theme Tiles" folder. One possibility for the bug is a missing file there. I'm not familiar enough with gui to tell.

The bug occurs when I open a tab in a Terminal already using the Rik theme.

One strange thing is the following : Terminal with Rik can show one tab in the tabbar if I switch the ShowTabBar option to YES in the menus And it can show several tabs in the tabbar if the app was switched from the GNUstep theme with the tabs already opened.

If I open a Terminal wiith the GNUstep theme, I've got these errors each time I open a new window :

2017-11-09 09:29:21.083 Terminal[12463:12463] File NSView.m: 1183. In -[NSView setFrame:] given negative width 2017-11-09 09:29:21.083 Terminal[12463:12463] File NSView.m: 1188. In -[NSView setFrame:] given negative height 2017-11-09 09:29:21.083 Terminal[12463:12463] NSFont <NSFont: 0x1842a50> Liberation Mono 16.000 0.000 0.000 16.000 0.000 0.000 S 0 info <CairoFontInfo: 0x1842ae0> size 16 {x = 0; y = -11; width = 10; height = 11} 1

Then I can open a  tab and have this one  only :
2017-11-09 09:34:06.467 Terminal[12463:12463] NSFont <NSFont: 0x1842a50> Liberation Mono 16.000 0.000 0.000 16.000 0.000 0.000 S 0 info <CairoFontInfo: 0x1842ae0> size 16 {x = 0; y = -11; width = 10; height = 11} 1

And then, if I switch to Rik theme using the Info panel, no error message is sent and the tabs are well displayed using Rik's tab images. And Terminal works fine with them. I can change from the first tab to second tab and all work. I can quit the app.

Finally, the next time I will open Terminal with Rik, the bug is there :
- if ShowTabBar is set to NO, a window is created, but if I open a tab, the tabbar is created, the new tab isn't and the menus get stuck on the "Default Shell" MenuTitle (the submenu isn't displayed). But I can change to another top menu entry. - if ShowTabBaris set to YES, no window is created at all and the menus get stuck again.
- in both cases, I can go to the quit menu and quit Terminal. No core dump.

As I said, Gworkspace works fine (tabs are used the the Desktop preference pane). I don't know any other app using tabs so I don't know if any other suffers from this bug.

Cheers Bertrand (not Bernard, Edwin  ;-) ).