Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 18:05:47 +0200

> Am 23.04.2018 um 15:21 schrieb Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de>:
>

>> It is easy to inspect these numbers as GNUstep stores them on the root
>> window as properties.
>>  xprop -root _GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFSETS
>
> I typed this command in the shell I use to start the app directly after a
> reboot of the machine. It said
>
> _GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFESTS: no such atom on any window

This is to be expected, as GNUstep needs to fill these values first.

> I then started the app for the first time after a reboot and reexecuted the
> above command. It then said
>
> _GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFSETS(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
> 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
> 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

That looks bad. Most likely GNUstep couldn’t figure out any of these values
which again would explain your problem.

>> Every group of four values belongs to a window style. If you see zeros
>> or negative values here this might point to invalid numbers. In that
>> case you should remove these values with the following command:
>> xprop -root _GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFSETS
>
> That's the exact same command as above? Is this correct

No, I forgot to add „-remove“ in the middle of the command. But the result that
you have above are enough for now.
Could you please either restart your computer again or execute this remove
command
xprop -root -remove _GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFSETS

And then start you application with the parameter "—GNU-Debug=Offset“ and mail
back the output. Newer versions of GNUstep would have a bit more diagnostic
here, but I hope the old version will print something as well.

Fred