Re: Crash on app start due to icon

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Crash on app start due to icon
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 23:01:45 +0200

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

Of course it retains the "behaviour" of the grey Icon until launch completes.
Interestingly, on Ubuntu I can actually dock an app and it will retain the
icon, on OpenBSD instead it WindowMaker will revert to generic.
on NetBSD 8 with WindowMaker 0.95.8 the icon isn't retained either.

I did further test, also on a second OpenBSD machine, ir confirms that it does not work. On FreeBSD however it works...

I noticed the following: check the docked icon properties, you should see the .xpm file
I have seen different behaviours:
1) before any fix, this was empty IIRC
2) just the file name
3) relative path to user root
4) absolute path

the file is form me inside WindowMaker defaults library.

on OpenBSD it is not a full path. However, if I search the path, it exists in the expected place. If I susbsitute the path then the icon appears!

It's hard to notice for me. From the few applications I've tested, perhaps it
was most obvious for batmon.app.

GWorkspace may be slow to start sometimes, but yes, batmon or TimeMon are the examples where the icon and running icon aver very different.

I think the problem is the hack I committed a few years back to fix the issue
with the first application opened in WindowMaker not getting a proper
application menu. The problem is that the app icon must be the first window
that is created and mapped by the application for us to be able to set the
application menu. To make that work, my fix creates the app icon window early
on in -[XGServer _setupRootWindow]. In particular, it does that before the
method tries to determine the size of the window borders by creating a set of
(off-screen) windows. But since we don't know the app icon at the time when
_setupRootWindow is called, this means that the app icon will remain blank
(well, grey) until the icon gets set later. :-(

Some chicken-and-egg issue with the backend?

Can we display the TIFF/icns icon as a first thing perhaps? Actually the one we are passing as atom! I think the window manager could display it before.

The whole off-screen windows is another issue :) But we may go off-topic. But suppose the following scenario: you have a login applicatino like xdm: it runs before the user's window manager is started, it runs on bare X11.. try to do that on GNUstep, it complains, is slow and sets up offset wrong :)

Riccardo