dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Technology, content control, and you - Discussion

From: Matthew Caron
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Technology, content control, and you - Discussion
Date: 26 Oct 2002 16:13:09 -0400

The University of Rhode Island Free Software Society (FSS) presents:

WHAT:
A roundtable discussion/teach-in about software, technology and content
(music, movies, books, etc) and how the all relate to you in this
increasingly connected digital age. Specifically, we will be discussing
TCPA/Palladium, DRM (Digital [Rights|Restrictions] Management), the
DMCA, SSSCA/CBDTPA, how these relate to convergence devices, Eldred vs.
Ashcroft, Free Software, and anything else people asks about.

WHEN/WHERE:
Thursday, November 7th, from 7PM - whenever people leave, (11:30PM at
the latest) in the Gallanti lounge of the URI Library.

WHO:
Anyone (students, educators, activists, non-students) are welcome to
attend.

HOW (Agenda):
1.) Relating of definitions of common terms that will likely show up in
discussion (including the alphabet soup above). (Presented by Me,
suggestions for what should be defined/explained is welcome).

2.) Election of moderator (I volunteer, but given my verbosity this may
not be prudent. It has been suggested that someone who knows nothing
about this subject may be a better moderator, because they will have
less to say).

3.) Question and Answers - The primary purpose of this is to educate,
though debate is to be expected. Therefore, to get everyone up to speed,
attendees are encouraged to ask questions which will be answered by
other attendees.

WHY:
Many people are completely unaware of what is currently being discussed
in congress, the supreme court, and the technology industry. This
discussion will attempt to remedy that. The purpose is to inform and
discuss so that each individual may make his/her own informed decision.

QUESTIONS:
Please email me with any questions or suggestions at:
address@hidden

--
Oil money supports terrible things,
if you buy petroleum products,