dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: pho: Technology, content control, and you - Discuss

From: tom barger
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: pho: Technology, content control, and you - Discussion
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:15:12 -0800

This reply is directed to Matt, who is a friend on pho list. I trust that cc'ing
to other recipents is wlecome. If any of you wish to join pho list, please use
my name and contact address@hidden, but don't forward this letter. Normally,
I make every effort to communicate in open list, but will forbear in this
instance. Possibly other recipents are not of political persuasion such as I---
but debate is always welcome.

Dear Matt:
I am most pleased to see the Free Software Society roundtable listed below. Are
you a student, or post-grad, or faculty?

I am relocating from Santa Monica to Cape Cod in November, for a extended video
editing project. I am meeting with the CEO here on Monday Nov 4 for final
arrangements, I don't think I can make the Nov. 7 meeting. But I trust further
meetings will be scheduled.

Wish me luck, I have never lived in winter conditions before! Once we have
gotten this project on its feet, possibly I will be virtual commuting from Santa
Monica. My plan is to train other visual artists in video editing and DVD
authoring, and expect to be trolling for human souls from Parsons Art
Department, etc. So I am glad to meet some of you.

Matt, I have been in LA for thirty years. I have spent my life in the music
business as a songwriter and film composer. My computer abilities were
blossoming since 1985 to the extent of utilizing editing tools for music
arrangements, film editing, 3D modeling, and streaming media. So at my age, I am
not a natural hacker kiddie, (as perhaps you guys are)---but I remain an artist
who is relentlessly curious how to push the edge of technology.

Somehow my shoe started to pinch, and as globalization and corporate downsizing
started destroying our efforts to sell music productions and screenplays, the
realization became unavoidable that many careers were permanently stunted. Like
I say, politics and contract law shouldn't be an overriding concern for artists,
but at my age, I began to believe that the illegal contracts foisted on our
younger artists, were as my lawyer friend Larry Feldman, says, "abuse of
underage people." Suffice to say, it is a bitter experience to realize that our
own representatives--lawyers and managers and union leaders-were the ones who
sold out our copyrights.

Perhaps my efforts may be regarded as collective bargaining of artist rights.

But a funny thing happened. I became a political activist.

I have enjoyed considerable success in attracting the attentions of my own
family's Congressional Representative, Rep. Rick Boucher, (D-Va.) I must say
that Representative Democracy does work.  And I am proud that our digital
community has furnished so much of Bouchers' legislative writing. WE HAVE AN
ADVANTAGE. We are quicker to evaluate news, court briefs, publicity, the
"talking drum."  And I have helped convinced Rep. Boucher that his own
constituency is the virtual community, "all of us." And not merely the
devastated economic community of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.

As a son of the long line of Applachian folk traditionalists, I cannot accept
any censorship or limitations on how I sample America's culture. I accept the
marginalization and loss of income that occurs when refusing to kowtow to the
desirtes of Hollywood film studios for commercial junk food garbage; nor do I
participate in Britney music.

I play an instrument, so sue me!

I was brought up in a tradition of paying ones' dues and gaining the respect of
world-class musicians. I have never shirked from employing the latest recording
studio techniques. Jim Griffin has said, "If you cripple the ability of
computers to network, you are taking the instruments from the msuicians' hands."

What I wish to address this group in Rhode Island is the following.

We have recently witnessed the RIAA send out thousands of letters to
corporations and universities. This request for takedowns is a clear case of
intimidation. If the gauntlet be thrown down at this point, I say that it is up
to the students and faculty advisors to educate the university administrators as
to your own rights of fair use and unrestricted access. You must be activists.
It is unfortunate that Hilary Rosen has attempted to polarize the academic
community and choose sides. I reiterate that academic freedom must be upheld
unequivocally. Freedon of speech is ABSOLUTE.

In the historic negotiations of the DMCA in the 80's, the academic and library
interests were shut out by commercial interests. We would hope that they learned
their lesson in further dealings with the RIAA and MPAA, and stiffen their own
resolve. It is up to you people in the Free Software Society to put some
backbone in this fight. We are entering another era of McCarthyism. We
anticipate serious consequences of computer network corruption as sought by the
RIAA and MPAA. It isn't about music, it is about equal access.

I would be pleased to furnish you with the debates of the USC chancellors.
Several of our lawyer-types on Pho have expressed alarm at the illegal decisions
of the USC chancellors. I must insist at this juncture that university
administrators are bound by "in loco parentis" to furnish guidelines to students
that follow the letter of the law. Legal advice, if you will--that will not
impact our eminent rights to Fair Use.

I will take pleasure in meeting many of you in the future. If you have some
means of providing audio tapes or transcripts of your panel, I for one, wish to
hear the results! May I suggest you archive the educational materials you
collect on a website.

Good luck to all of you, let Free Speech reign. Bless our efforts.

Sincerely,

TOM BARGER
Citizen