dmca-activists

Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] (DC 7/17)

From: Ruben I Safir
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] (DC 7/17)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:01:27 -0500

the DMCA affects education because it makes you ownerless from information,
and impeeds your ability to accumalate data.

The clearest example of this was with NYU Dental School.  They forced
all their students to buy all their textbooks at the Dental School
on a DVD, and at the end of the semester, the books TURNED THEMSELVES OFF,
unless you purchases a subscription.  Printing, and sharing the disk was
considered criminal, making it impossible to SHARE RESEARCH or sources.

That's in in a nut shell.

In order to educate and to become educated, absolute ownership of the
source materials and research facilities has to remain with the individual,
or you can not practice any real knowledge.

See http://fairuse.nylxs.com

New Yorkers for Fair Use.

Also see NYLXS http://www.nylxs.com for more information.

I'm the founder and leader of both groups, auther of the NY Fair Use web site
and have several articles published on these issues, including a regular column
in the NYLXS
Quartly Journal.  We've also funded all NY Fair Use activities.

Indeed, DRM is Theft, and we are the stake holders.

See my article on "Who owns the Music"  It will be the main piece of literature
to target the 18-24 year old crowd in school districts, and to counter the
mis-information being distributed by the RIAA, and the MPAA as we witnessed
in Congressional hearings.

BTW - there is/was no 10/21/ outreach called by NY Fair Use.

NY Fair Use is now organizing an assualt on the Student Constitutency
based on the expereince of the organization in the last month in talking
directly
with members of the IP subcommittee in the house.  We will be announcing our
next action in about a week.  It will be desinged to put specific pressure on
members
of this key committee in the only way they understand.

I'm really not certain why this other group has decided to waste preciously
scare
resources as they have, but, Oh Well...

The DMCA and the issues of Information Ownership affects nearly ever aspect of
society,
and their are natural forming constitutencies which can me mobilized for
political
action.  The main thrust of NY Fair Use has been to spounsor a Fair Use Bill
which
clearly grounds the Fair Use legal doctrine into the 4, and 5 ammendments of the
Constitution.

Ruben

On 2002.10.22 17:27 denise wrote:
> I am currently doing my graduate thesis on the DMCA-I have heard a lot of
> things menitoned about the fair-use policy. I was wondering if anyone could
> explain it further to me. I have read and read up on the issue, but I can't
> grasp that concept for some reason. (And why is it involved with education?)
>
> Thanks,
> Denise

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS http://fairuse.nylxs.com