dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] contribute to dmidecode for spec 2.8 and 3.0

From: sai
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] contribute to dmidecode for spec 2.8 and 3.0
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:17:57 -0600

On 2015-08-29 08:31, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Sai,

Please stop top-posting.

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 00:09:10 -0600, address@hidden wrote:
Thanks. I've submitted the patch. I wasn't referring to the struct in

Thanks, I'll apply it later today.

the code but rather the strings used were different from what was
available in the specification (in Type 4, Table 22, Meaning Column). Is
it because they are ENUMs ?

I did not blindly copy the strings, because they are bloated and
inconsistent. Some have the vendor name included, which is redundant
with the Processor Manufacturer string. Some have (R) and TM all around
the place and that makes the actual name harder to read and parse. Some
end with Series, Family or Processor, others don't. So yes I simplified
most of the processor name strings. Is there any problem with that?

Also, is it possible to build a next version and make it available as
dmidecide-maj.min.tar.gz for 2.8 and 3.0 ? So that buildroot can
automatically pick it up from
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dmidecode/ ?

I don't understand what you are asking for, sorry. All released
versions of dmidecode are already there. Version 3.0 will be there once
it is released (really soon now.)

Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support