Re: [DotGNU]TODOs until this weekend

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]TODOs until this weekend
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:52:23 -0600

Hello mdupont,

James Michael DuPont wrote:
--- Leon Brocard <address@hidden> wrote:

James Michael DuPont sent the following bits through the ether:

Please send me some links about the license change.

All I can see is the thread you've replied to :)

1. Correct me if I am wrong, An MIT/(BSD -advertizing) licensed code
can be distributed as part of GPL application, so it should be possible
to create a GPL version of parrot, or make GPL specific add ons. Right?

You can also distribute MIT code under the MIT license linked with GPL software, as the MIT license is GPL-compatible. Which is why I don't understand why the Parrot license stopped parrotcode from getting a Prolog front-end, as previously reported, *unless* the provider in question wanted to release a non-free version of Parrot, and was using this front-end as a push to get it.

doesn't apply to the object files it generates (and unlike the way gcc's license does apply to its internal representations of things)

IIRC, this has more to do with the abstract concept of linkage and the "sharing internal data structures" way in which GCC front-ends and back-ends do this. When they share these structures, they are more linked together then when doing a simple request/reply with data.

--
Stephen Compall
Also known as S11001001

GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
        -- RMS, "GNU Manifesto"