Re: [Dotgnu-pnet] CVS is down -> Switching t =?UTF-8?Q?o SVN??=

From: jan
Subject: Re: [Dotgnu-pnet] CVS is down -> Switching t =?UTF-8?Q?o SVN??=
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:23:18 +0200 (CEST)

Myself I use Bazaar [1]. Bazaar has IMHO a nicer command line. However
Git can track code even when it is moved from one file to another.
Neither Bazaar nor Git allow you to checkout part of the tree. The very
meaning of distributed version control is that "checkouts" (or rather
branches) are themselves independent repositories. However I have heard
that Git supports references to other repositories. I can recommend to
watch Torvald's presentation about Git [2].
I can really recommend to switch to a *distributed* version control
system as opposed to SVN. CVS and SVN require you to manage access
permissions for a central repository. Distributed version control
systems on the other hand allow you to implement a network (or
hierarchy) of trust. There is gratis hosting for Bazaar repos at
Launchpad [3] and gratis hosting for Git repos at Github [4].

[1] http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8
[3] https://launchpad.net/
[4] http://github.com/