[Duplicity-talk] --cleanup not noticing manifest upload failures

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] --cleanup not noticing manifest upload failures
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:11:33 +0200

A backup via the scp backend recently failed due to the ssh session timing
out. The failure occurred during the upload of the full manifest file.

A subsequent --cleanup did not find anything outstanding, believing the backup
was complete. Attempting an incremental backup then failed once the processes
got to the end of the truncated file.

This is with duplicity 0.4.2; it may already be fixed.

I accidentally lost the actual duplicity output, but I expect that reproducing
the problem is easy and I will do so if someone wants. However I suspect the
reason for the problem is pretty obvious. Just wanted to send a note flagging
the existence of it.

I suppose that from the perspective of "can I restore files?" the backup *is*
complete, but still from a practical perspective the backup was not really
complete, since it generates errors without manual intervention.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden