[Duplicity-talk] Crash on locked files

From: Georg Lutz
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Crash on locked files
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:39:03 +0200

Hi Kenneth,

some time ago in April I reported a duplicicty crash under Windows/cygwin when doing backups of locked (Outlook) files. I tried your patches in robust.py and selection.py (which seems to be incorporated in current version) but unfourtunately this did not fix the crash. When I remember correctly there were also some difficulties in reproducing the issue.

However I have done further investigation on this topic and I found a way to easily reproduce the crash, even without the help of Outlook. :):

Open a python interactive shell and enter:

---
import fcntl
log = open("/cygdrive/d/temp/test.txt", "a+")
fcntl.flock(log, fcntl.LOCK_EX)
---

This locks the file. However this is not the same as the native Windows exclusive lock - I am not able to open the file directly but it is still possible to copy the file and then open it. This is not the case with Windows exclusive locks which Outlook uses.

Now start a backup with

---
duplicity \
   --include '/cygdrive/d/temp/test.txt' \
   --exclude '**' \
   '/cygdrive' \
   file:///cygdrive/f/backups/duplicity/data
---

And voila duplicity crashes with

---
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Cleanup of temporary directory /cygdrive/f/backups/duplicity/archive/cad29640aad cde263f75df5cb18bc779/duplicity-E011Oe-tempdir failed - this is probably a bug. Cleanup of temporary directory /cygdrive/f/backups/duplicity/archive/cad29640aad cde263f75df5cb18bc779/duplicity-JLcxVo-tempdir failed - this is probably a bug.
---

If you unlock the file with

fcntl.flock(log, fcntl.LOCK_UN)

the backup works flawless.

If testes this with the latest version 0.6.02 .

Could you have a look at it please?

Regards
   Georg