[Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new user

From: Michael Lissner
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new user
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:03:21 -0700

Hi all,

I have been working on getting duplicity set up today, and I have a
couple questions that I haven't yet been able to completely figure out.

As I'm looking at tutorials online, it seems like a lot of them instruct
people to make gpg keys, and to give arguments to duplicity to use those
keys. But when I look at the man page, and documentation, it seems like
that's not necessary, and that duplicity handles encryption for me by
default. Are these tutorials just outdated, or am I missing something?
If it does handle the encryption for me, can somebody comment on what
encryption is used, or if this is an option that can be adjusted still?

The second question I'm having is that I have about 40GB of personal
files I'm backing up. A lot of the tutorials online are saying that I
should do a full backup every month or so, but if that means
transferring 40GB over my network every month, then duplicity won't work
out for me. Is there a way that I can keep a month's worth of backups
around without ever having to do a full backup, and without backups
filling my  remote server's HD?

I'm also wondering what effect running the clean (--force) command would
have if it were run after every backup? It seems like a good practice
just to keep things tidy, but it seems like nobody is recommending it.

Finally, does anybody know what happens if a backup gets interrupted in
the middle? Since the 40GB of data is going to take a long time to
backup, it'd be great if I could do it over a number of days while
turning my laptop on and off. Rsnapshot supports this, I believe, but
from what I can tell, it seems that duplicity does not.

Thanks for the great program, I hope it will work out, and thanks for
reading the long email!

Mike

--

=ML=