Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is push/pull backup?

From: Tim Riemenschneider
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is push/pull backup?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:41:49 +0200

Am 05.08.2011 18:19, schrieb address@hidden:
> On 05.08.2011 15:21, pradyumna dash wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am facing some issues while restoring files.  Can any one give me an exact
>> syntax, and explain a bit.
> did you consult the man page?
> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html
Did you yourself ;-) ?
>> E.g :  I want to restore the /etc/hosts file, i have taken the backup of
>> /etc but want to restore hosts file
> this one is a bit unintuitive that's true
>
> duplicity --file-to-restore /etc/hosts [options] source_url /etc/hosts.backup
Thats wrong, IMO that has to be:

duplicity --file-to-restore etc/hosts [options] source_url /etc/hosts.backup

(no leading slash)
or maybe even

duplicity --file-to-restore hosts [options] source_url /etc/hosts.backup

(if the backup was made with "duplicity [....] /etc backupurl" instead
of something like "duplicity [....] --include etc --exclude .... /
backupurl")

Or with the example from the manpage ;-) :

[....]

If the above is run repeatedly, the first will be a full backup, and
subsequent ones will be incre‐
mental. To force a full backup, use the full action:

duplicity full /home/me scp://address@hidden/some_dir

Now suppose we accidentally delete /home/me and want to restore it the
way it was at the time of
last backup:

duplicity scp://address@hidden/some_dir /home/me

Duplicity enters restore mode because the URL comes before the local
directory. If we wanted to
restore just the file "Mail/article" in /home/me as it was three days
ago into
/home/me/restored_file:

duplicity -t 3D --file-to-restore Mail/article scp://address@hidden/some_dir
/home/me/restored_file

That is, the option to --file-to-restore is a relative path, relative to
the root of the backup.
(But I often make that mistake, too ;-) )

cu
Tim Riemenschneider

--
detco GbR
Tim Riemenschneider - Entwickler

Geschäftsführer: Sebastian Constantin, Jens Frischen
Phone:  0421 / 22 37 99 00
Fax:    0421 / 22 37 99 01
Mobil:  0179 / 21 27 285
Mail:   address@hidden

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail und der
darin enthaltenen Informationen sind nicht gestattet.

notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.