[Duplicity-talk] Restore numeric owner adapted for Duplicity 0.6.15

From: Lukas Anzinger
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Restore numeric owner adapted for Duplicity 0.6.15
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:40:48 +0200

Hi,

I adapted Dylan Martin's patch from 2008 (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2008-10/msg00122.html) to work with the new argument parsing code in the Duplicity stable branch.

This patch is extremely useful if one want to restore a system backup from a live cd which may use the same user names but different IDs.
Some time ago, I wanted to restore my Ubuntu 11.04 system with a Ubuntu 11.04 live cd. I booted from the CD, installed duplicity and restored my backup to the formated drive. The system booted but GDM always throw me an awkward error complaining about wrong permissions (or just failure) in "/var/lib/gdm/.ICEAuthority", "/var/lib/gconf", etc. It took me hours to find out that the permissions of /var/lib/gdm were wrong just because the uid/gid on my restored system were different than the ones on the live cd.

So I really do hope that the patch will be included in one of the next releases so that I don't have to patch my own version of duplicity if I want to restore a system backup from a live cd.

Regards,

Lukas