[Duplicity-talk] duplicity verification and corrupt backups

From: Rob Verduijn
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity verification and corrupt backups
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:06:00 +0200

Hello all,

I have been trying out duplicity for a while now and found a few itches about which I wondered how you solved them.

Here's my situation:
First the reason for me choosing to look into duplicity
I've got a nice little nas that contains all the files that I care about, it has a nice redundant raid setup.
I make daily local backups because I know raid isn't everything if you really care about your data.
Also local backups are nice until your house burns down or more realistic somebody breaks in and takes not only the nas but also the machine containing the backups.
So I also make remote backups.
But remote backups means storing files on a system owned by somebody else for example in the cloud or whatever you can think off. Bottom line somebody else will have access to your files unless you encrypt them.
This is where duplicity comes in , no man in the middle, no access for anybody who does not own the keys, very nice if you ask me.

But now I add a slow line and a huge amount of data. There is enough space on the destination side so that is not the problem.
But after uploading say 250Gb over a slow line for several days
 it becomes a bit of a pain that after doing a verify it tells me file 312 out of 2631 has failed it's check, and stops.

How do you fix that one corrupt file ?
How can I get it to continue to verify the other files ?

I'm not looking forward to doing a full new backup, one that takes days and one that could also fail.
Neither am I looking forward to driving over to the remote location fetching the drive, going home, doing a backup driving there again putting it back in the machine.
The drive is in a machine owned by somebody who is so kind to let me use his paid for Internet, power and pc to do remote backups.
Asking him to open up his pc again and again because I can't get a proper backup isn't something I wish to burden him with.

Regards
Rob