Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?

From: Joe Auty
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:57:17 -0400

September 17, 2012 7:10 AM

pretty obvious.. run a collection-status with duplicity an you'll see that some younger incrementals (_duplicity tells you so above_) depend on backups you are trying to delete. deleting the older backups would render them defective.

solution:
choose to delete the whole chain by giving the time where the next new full starts
or
do fulls more regularly to be able to delete more frequently.

Thanks Edgar!

It was obvious what this meant, but not obvious why the command I issued didn't go ahead and delete the old fulls/chains.

It looks like what I really meant to run was "remove-all-but-n-full". I didn't realize that "remove-older-than" looks at files on an individual basis and will not follow an increment up to its full and delete that too if it is older than the given time. Since I provided the original argument of 3 months and my only 2 fulls were a couple of days ago and August 2011, I was expecting it to do whatever it had to do to delete all stuff older than 3 months, including the full and all increments.

Is this accurate?

ede/duply.net

September 16, 2012 5:22 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to turn over a ton of old incremental backups, so I did a new full backup which just completed yesterday, but old backups are not being deleted with the following Duplicity arguments:

duplicity remove-older-than 3M --force --tempdir ${TEMPDIR} --archive-dir ${ARCHIVEDIR} ${DEST}

duplicity --full-if-older-than 3M --tempdir ${TEMPDIR} --archive-dir ${ARCHIVEDIR} --gpg-options "--compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9" --asynchronous-upload --encrypt-key=${GPG_KEY} --sign-key=${GPG_KEY} --s3-use-rrs --s3-use-new-style ${SOURCE} ${DEST}

I'm getting the following, which I can't make sense of since Duplicity seems to recognize my new full backup I made yesterday according to this output, if this is to be taken at face value... How can I delete these old sets, and why is this happening? I've tried a:

duplicity cleanup --extra-clean --tempdir ${TEMPDIR} --archive-dir ${ARCHIVEDIR} --force ${DEST}

Which did not help. Here is my output for the remove-older-than command which I can't make sense of:

Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Sat Sep 15 03:14:57 2012
There are backup set(s) at time(s):
Wed Aug  3 03:31:17 2011
Thu Aug  4 20:09:12 2011
Thu Aug  4 22:46:59 2011
Fri Aug  5 01:34:00 2011
Sun Aug  7 02:15:07 2011
Sun Sep  4 02:15:04 2011
Sun Sep 11 02:15:06 2011
Sun Sep 18 02:15:24 2011
Sun Sep 25 02:15:04 2011
Sun Oct  2 02:15:06 2011
Sun Oct  9 02:15:04 2011
Sun Oct 30 02:15:05 2011
Sun Nov  6 02:15:07 2011
Sun Nov 13 18:18:32 2011
Sun Nov 20 02:15:12 2011
Sun Nov 27 02:15:09 2011
Sun Dec  4 02:15:10 2011
Sun Dec 11 02:15:10 2011
Sun Dec 18 02:15:10 2011
Sun Dec 25 02:15:11 2011
Sun Jan  1 02:15:13 2012
Sun Jan  8 02:15:10 2012
Sun Jan 15 02:15:12 2012
Sun Jan 22 02:15:11 2012
Sun Jan 29 02:15:09 2012
Sun Feb  5 02:15:10 2012
Sun Feb 12 02:15:12 2012
Sun Feb 19 02:15:10 2012
Sun Feb 26 02:15:09 2012
Sun Mar  4 02:15:11 2012
Sun Mar 11 03:00:11 2012
Sun Mar 18 02:15:50 2012
Sun Mar 25 02:15:15 2012
Sun Apr  1 02:15:10 2012
Sun Apr  8 02:15:11 2012
Sun Apr 15 02:15:10 2012
Sun Apr 22 02:15:11 2012
Sun Apr 29 02:15:11 2012
Sun May  6 02:15:31 2012
Sun May 13 02:15:11 2012
Sun May 20 02:15:10 2012
Fri May 25 02:15:13 2012
Sat May 26 02:15:09 2012
Sun May 27 02:15:09 2012
Mon May 28 02:15:10 2012
Tue May 29 02:15:11 2012
Wed May 30 02:15:13 2012
Thu May 31 02:15:11 2012
Fri Jun  1 02:15:09 2012
Sat Jun  2 02:15:10 2012
Sun Jun  3 02:15:08 2012
Mon Jun  4 02:15:12 2012
Tue Jun  5 02:15:17 2012
Wed Jun  6 02:15:27 2012
Thu Jun  7 02:15:18 2012
Fri Jun  8 02:15:34 2012
Sat Jun  9 02:15:13 2012
Sun Jun 10 02:15:11 2012
Mon Jun 11 02:15:11 2012
Tue Jun 12 02:15:13 2012
Wed Jun 13 02:15:15 2012
Thu Jun 14 02:15:15 2012
Fri Jun 15 02:15:13 2012
Sat Jun 16 02:15:14 2012
Mon Jun 18 02:15:16 2012
Which can't be deleted because newer sets depend on them.
No old backup sets found, nothing deleted.