Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:36:17 +0200

On 17.09.2012 20:25, Joe Auty wrote:
>> address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
>> > September 17, 2012 2:08 PM
>> >
>> > yes.
>> >
>> > check the duplicity manpage 'man duplicity' or online
>> > http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html
>> > all /action/ commands are described there. duplicity support three
>> > remove-*
>> > commands currently.
>> >
>> > generally you should make the manpage your first stop if something is
>> > unclear
>> > or 'seems' not to work ;)
>>
>> Oh, I do do that normally, but this required a few readings to sort of
>> process.
>>
>> It does seem intuitive that remove-older-than should remove *everything*
>> older
>> than that date and do everything that is necessary to do so, but I guess
>> this
>> approach does leave a gaping hole in leaving some orphaned incrementals
>> around.
>> remove-all-but-n-full is far more explicit and direct, so I guess this makes
>> sense.

duplicity is about backup, which in turn is about data safety. simply deleting
and leaving a corrupt chain would go against these intentions ;)

we could make duplicity interactively prompt in this case, but i'd vote this an
overkill, as the problem is already communicated *and* duplicity is primarily
designed to run unattended via cron or the like.

..ede/duply.net