edu-eu

Re: Education pages on fsfeurope.org & OSiE UK

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: Education pages on fsfeurope.org & OSiE UK
Date: 15 Jun 2001 15:07:20 -0000

Quoting Christian Selig <address@hidden>:

> Richard Smedley wrote:
> > Could you put the UK's effort on the list
> > OSiE (Open Source in Education)
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/osie
> > (draft site up at:
> > http://osie.sourceforge.net/dynamic/osieweb/
> > )
>
> I can, but someone will surely complain about the term "open source".
> What do you (all on this list) think?

Well "Open Source" vs "Free Software" was a point of long discussion
at the founding of OSiE. However if you look at the draft site
mentioned above you see the first link is titled "About free,
open-source software." The linked page starts with an explanation of
freedom in software.

> > I'll have a think about content. Education will probably highlight
> > quite a few differences between European countries (well certainly
> > with regard to the UK anyway...  =^/
>
> Yep, the biggest problem with education in Europe is that it's very
> divergent.

It's pretty divergent *within* the UK. We have more graduates than any
other country, but also the highest levels of illiteracy in W Europe :-(

> Same for the OSIE, stating that we support the idea but that we think
> the term "Open Source" is inappropriate (link to gnu.org/philsophy/...)?

Seems reasonable. But see how the OSiE site finishes up after everyone
involved in it has a final say (I believe it's planned to go live in
September).

- Richard

This mail was sent using ecmail