edu-eu

Re: Education pages on fsfeurope.org

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: Education pages on fsfeurope.org
Date: 17 Jun 2001 15:16:21 +0200

Hi Christian,

 || On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:22:02 +0200
 || Christian Selig <address@hidden> wrote:

 cs> I have put up (with the kind help of the web team) a simple web
 cs> site (http://www.fsfeurope.org/education/).

Good work - thanks!

 cs> Tell me, what content do you expect on that site? What would you
 cs> like to see?

Here is a suggestion:

   FSF EuropeFSF   |   GNU   |   GNU Spain
 France | Germany
  FSF Europe
What's Free Software?
What's the GNU Project?
[ Deutsch | English ]

Free Software in Education

Introduction

The Free Software Foundation Europe actively promotes the use of Free Software in schools and universities. Free Software is pedagogically and technologically superior to proprietary systems. But more importantly, its basic, freedom and cooperation, are also basic values for general education in a democratic environment.

Right now there are many initiatives, people and organizations active in this field, very often without knowing each other. To bring these initiatives together, the FSF Europe has launched a general call for everyone interested in this field to subscribe to the mailing list at http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-eu/ .

This list will serve as a coordination platform and discussion forum for efforts to further Free Software in the educational field throughout Europe.

Associations

Some organizations already support and advocate Free Software in education.

Associates of the FSF Europe:

Other organizations furthering Free Software in education:

If you wish to see an organization added to this list, please send mail to <address@hidden>.

Projects
Secure Free Software
Sections

Contact
Background
Documents
Mailing Lists
Tasks
News
Press Section
GNU Business Network

Associated organizations
APRIL
OFSET
Admin

Project Summary
GNU Guide
Tasks

XHTML Source  |   XSL Style Sheet
 address@hidden
Copyright (C) 2001 FSF Europe
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

Last update: Date: 2001/06/13 22:26:41 Author: loic
Also I suggest we should add the "Free Software in Education" page to
the projects menu.

About linking to the FSUB e.V. I still haven't decided whether we want
to do this.

The fact that proprietary software is advocated along with Free
Software is annoying. Also it disturbs me to read "Operating system
Linux" as a menu entry. Promoting SuSE also seems a little problematic
since they are the most proprietary of all distributions.

I would at least expect to have a clear distinction between Free and
proprietary software within the categories - the minimum is to make
him aware that a certain package is proprietary. It would be even
better if there would be some form of discouraging people from
choosing proprietary software.

If a distribution is to be recommended, it should be Debian. You might
chose to inform about SuSEs program, but it should be the second
choice (if that).

Also I feel the terminology should be correct.

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <address@hidden>