edu-eu

Re: Another open source project ?

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: Another open source project ?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:50:32 +0100

Hello Dominique,

we are always very happy to read about Free Software projects for schools. Especially missing (i.e. all over Germany) is a good, usable and *free* solution for school administration. I'm very occupied right now, but I guess some others will take a look at it. You should also search the web for other projects with the same goal, so that (if possible) you can merge and save yourself and others a lot of work, or at least create common data formats.

I'd also like to urge you to speak of "Free Software" instead of "Open Source", because the former term is much more precise. You can take a look at http://www.fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.fr.html .

Bye,
  Christian

Dominique Broeglin wrote:

        Hello,
        I'm not quite sure that this is the best place for this email. If I'm
wrong tell me !
        I'm working on a little project which aims at handling administrative
(scheduling, student and teacher directories,etc...) and pedagogic tasks
(course content and organization) for my former school which needed it
badly. The project begins to be interesting. So, I decided to publish it in
order to obtain some feed-back from users outside the school it was
initially designed for.

--
I am chaos.  I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms.  I am the spirit with which your children and clowns