edu-eu

Re: New to the group

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: New to the group
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:49:25 +0200

Hello Susan,
hello others,

Susan Stewart wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm a little new to the group, so if this is already going on and I missed it let me know...

Not much. I'm List Admin and receive 1-2 spam emails to the list that I have to delete, but there's not much else going on :-/

I was wondering whether or not there's been any attempt to organize a group to help introduce GNU/Linux and GNU educational tools to public schools. One might expect under funded public schools to gravitate immediately toward free software as more and more becomes available to suit their needs. However, at least in the United States, Windows admins are a dime a dozen, but there is a scarcity of people familiar with free software willing to work for what schools are able to pay (which is below the poverty line in some districts around here -- US teachers are among our lowest paid professions).

I would really like to see a push to get schools using free software. I'm sure that we are all aware of the devastating effects of high software licensing costs on schools. However, unless these schools are given the resources to administer GNU/Linux based systems, proprietary software will remain their only option. Making free software a viable option for public schools would involve finding volunteers from local LUGs, universities, businesses, etc. to help with initial setup and with training school staff to use and maintain the systems. Unless teachers know how to use it, and staff is able to maintain the system, all of our development efforts will amount to naught.

In conjunction with this effort, I would like to establish resources for schools interested in beginning computer related extracurricular programs. We could provide schools with a framework from which to build programs that will enrich students not only with added opportunities to acquire computer skills, but with the guiding ideals of free software: freedom and cooperation.

I have put a lot of thought into how these goals could be accomplished, and would be more than happy to make a more complete project proposal if anyone is interested.

I recognize many of the arguments, they have often been mentioned. They range from social (->poverty) to practical (->adminstration).

Indeed we (German FSuB e.V., "Association for Free Software and Education") have identified the lack of GNU/Linux support and training as a main reason why so few schools use Free Software.

In Germany, we have a group called PingoS (http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org/) which is a network of volunteers that helps local schools; they express their support for "Linux" (sic!), but pitily some also help with Windows adminstration. They are a potential partner. I assume that the situation is worse in other European countries.

The questions for a setting up a project would be:
- At which level? National, International?
- Who manages the project (US, Europe)?
- Who can donate resources?
- How would the work of the project look like, specifially?
- Which existing group/s are willing to cooperate?

Please outline your ideas :-)

After June, I will even be able to donate Web space and bandwidth. What about including GNU/Linux introducory materials targeted at schools, in multiple languages? I have already written some ...

Bye,
  Christian

--
I am chaos.  I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms.  I am the spirit with which your children and clowns