[emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:59:48 +0200

> Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:51:17 +0900
> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> At 05:59 05/12/01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>  >> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:50:57 +0900
>  >> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
>  >> Cc: address@hidden
>  >>
>  >> Where and how the cursor should be displayed, which physical
>  >> direction it moves for cursor keys such as -> or <-, whether
>  >> selection is logical or visual, and so on.
>  >
>  >This was all discussed here some time ago, please be sure to read the
>  >list archives.
>
> Can you give me a pointer, e.g. to some specific message or
> to the approximate date?

It was in late 1997, so it's not in the public archives, as I wrote in
another mail.  Sorry, I forgot about that.

>  >> - In our current approach, we not only change the properties of some
>  >>    characters, but also introduce additional embedding (or occasionally
>  >>    override) levels. Is this possible in your implementation?
>  >
>  >I'm not sure I understand: embeddings and overrides are fully
>  >supported, so what could be the problem?
>
> Well, it's similar to character properties: What you definitely
> support is the interpretation of RLE,... PDF characters to
> create an embedding. But as explained, we don't actually want
> to include these characters. As Kenichi explained, overlays
> may be a way to get the characters to the display engine
> without adding it to the text. Do you think this would
> do the job?

Yes, overlays can do the job, if we are talking about a display
feature, and if this is not going to be something we need to do for
many portions of the text (since too many overlays make redisplay very
slow).