Re: mode-line face

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: mode-line face
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:52:10 +0200 (CEST)

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> I wondered whether the dashes could be arranged to be always in a
> fixed pitch face so that they do join up.

One could do that, theoretically, by giving the dashes and `%-' in
mode-line-format face text properties.

One could also use spaces instead of dashes and display them with
`:strike-through t'.  We could do that automatically for `%-' in the
mode-line-format on window-systems, but it doesn't cut it completely
because there are also literal dashes in mode-line-format, like in
`-%-'.  That again could be cured, I think, by extending the
`%'-specifiers in mode-line-format to allow both a field width and a
precision, like in printf.

Anyone?