Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:38:47 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Richard Stallman)
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:12:41 -0700 (MST)
>
>     If you want to leave the things as they are now, I think we should add
>     some code in ls-lisp.el to make its version of insert-directory do
>     similar things.
>
> I agree.  Would you like to do that?

I did that and installed the changes.

Please note that putting the code which produces the free space into
insert-directory means that any file handlers which implement this
primitive need to mimic this aspect as well.  This might be a Good
Thing, but it's a change that should be documented somewhere, I think.
Any suggestions?

As another aside, I see that you've changed insert-directory to say
"used NNNN" instead of "total NNNN".  I think the ``used'' part could
confuse someone into thinking that it refers to the entire filesystem,
rather than just to the sum total of the sizes of the files that are
displayed by Dired.

>     Is it a good idea to leave a defvaralias in dired.el, for back
>     compatibility?
>
> That is reasonable.

Done.