Re: PO files and Emacs

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: PO files and Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:41:14 +0100 (CET)

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> However, I'm confused: should it be called po.el or po-mode.el?  Are we
> talking about 2 different files here?

We are talking about two different files. po.el does only the encoding
recognition. It is suitable for viewing PO files and doesn't need a
manual. Whereas po-mode.el is a major mode for editing (not just
viewing) PO files. po-mode.el is and remains included in the GNU
gettext package, because it is documented in the GNU gettext manual
and needs some of the GNU gettext programs to be installed.

Please don't name the file po-mode.el inside Emacs; (load-library
"po-mode.el") would not work any more.

Bruno