Re: kill ring menu

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 06 May 2002 15:46:47 +0900

    Colin> I assert (without any statistics) that the vast majority of
    Colin> users put (global-font-lock-mode 1) in their ~/.emacs file
    Colin> (thereby loading font-lock.el), and expect fontification in
    Colin> every mode,

I have no statistics (nobody does) on .emacs content, but I can say
that "how do I turn on font-lock permanently everywhere" is a Top 10
FAQ (since XEmacs doesn't have `global-font-lock-mode'), and "who do I
tell to add font-lock to some-unusual-mode" probably doesn't hit the
Top 10, but it's a regular.

    Colin> while the remaining portion don't want any fontification at
    Colin> all.

I'm a counter-example, possibly because at root I'm a Henry Ford
acolyte: "You can have your [text] in any color you want, as long as
it's black."  I don't like font-lock in text/plain, but I do like it
in program source and I do like color ls.

To be honest, my impression is that everybody likes font lock (except
maybe Jerry Pournelle), it's just that some people want it sometimes,
and some people want it always.