Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el

From: epameinondas
Subject: Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:08:25 +0200

[...]
> I see.  Maybe we should have a way for the buffer to choose
> a default face.
>
>     To have true buffer local faces would be nice.
>
> Buffer local *face definitions* would be rather hairy.  Do we need
> them?  It could be a lot easier to have a variable whose value
> specifies the name of the default face, and then you could give
> that variable a buffer-local value.  Is it really useful to
> give the same face name various buffer-local definitions?

To have a variable would be enough for most purposes I can think
of. It surely is enough for gamegrid.

Another thing, BTW, that should be buffer-local rather than frame
local is the frame parameter `cursor-type'. I am mainly thinking of
the ability to turn the cursor off via

(modify-frame-parameters nil '((cursor-type . nil)))

gamegrid.el provides a function that turns the cursor off in XEmacs. I
have not enabled this, of course, because it should only apply to the
game buffer.

[Other cases where I, as a User, would like to turn the cursor off are
dired or the *Group* and *Article* buffers in Gnus. I'd prefer to use
the line highlighting facility provided by `hl-line-mode' to select
things.]

    -- Oliver

--
Oliver Scholz               17 Messidor an 210 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!