Re: backward-up-list

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: backward-up-list
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:08:26 +0200

> Nowadays it may be possible to do better; there may be an efficient
> way to tell whether point is in a list.  If so, it would be a good
> thing to implement something better.
>
> Stefan, can we determine this efficiently using your newer syntax
> parsing features?

I have been using this little function built atop Stefans syntax
package for turning on flyspell mode in comment and strings.  It
doesn't seem to cause any noticable slowdown.

(defun inside-comment-or-string-p ()
  "Return non-nil if `point' is inside a comment or string."
  (let ((state (syntax-ppss (point))))
    (or (nth 3 state) (nth 4 state))))

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el