Re: backward-up-list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: backward-up-list
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:48:51 -0400

> I have found 'backward-up-list' not to work in some major modes when
> point is in a string.

I'd expect it "not to work" in any major-mode.
backward-up-list as well as forward-sexp, backward-sexp, ... all
assume that the starting position is outside of any string and/or comment.
It's non-trivial to fix and sometimes people rely on the current behavior
so even if a technical solution comes around, it might be difficult
to use it because of the incompatible change in behavior.

        Stefan

PS: It "works" in text-mode simply because point cannot be in a string
    since there are no strings (or comments for that matter) in text-mode.