Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.
Date: 16 Oct 2002 17:50:50 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Emacs server without emacsserver."
> * Sent on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:10:15 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> If someone wants to play with it, here is a first cut at it.

nice.
I have a question about `server-switch-buffer'.
most of it
(after ";; OK, we know next-buffer is live, let's display and select it.")
is just `pop-to-buffer' modified to support `server-window' and avoid
at all costs creating a new frame (I am being sloppy here, I know).

I liked the gnuserv default behavior - creating a new frame (and
deleting it on `server-edit').

Maybe server.el could be modified so that `server-window' can be:

 - a symbol 'new-frame (or whatever) which would mean that
   server-switch-buffer always create a dedicated frame and
   `server-done' will remove it

 - a symbol 'default (or nil) to mean that emacs server should be no
   different from the rest of Emacs, i.e., `server-switch-buffer' just
   calls `pop-to-buffer' and `server-edit' calls `quit-window'.  This
   way the variables `pop-up-frames' and `pop-up-windows' will be
   automatically respected by emacs server (actually, personally, I
   would rather prefer that this be made the default behavior, moreover,
   this should make `server-window' unnecessary).

thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>