Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:26:20 -0500

> > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:26:43 +0900 (JST)
> > From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> >
> > was it the conclusion that we can't use `struct it' without
> > a glyph matrics?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> > For instance, it seems to me that doing this is possible.
> >
> > (1) call init_iterator with ROW == NULL
> > (2) call reseat with POS == (line-beginning-position)
> > (3) call move_it_to with TO_CHARPOS == (point)
> > (4) it->hpos is the current column.
>
> I'm not sure; does this really work?  Including some unusual
> situations like display tables, overlays/text properties, and other
> calamities that affect how text is displayed?

I don't think it's too bad.  The one concrete case where I know that
current-column purposefully does not try to reproduce the behavior
of the display is that current-column does *not* ignore text that's
invisible but represented by an ellipsis.

We'll probably need some tweaking to get the iterator to do that
correctly.  AFAIK, this is only done so as to get meaningful results
when current-column (and move-to-column) is called from within such
"ellipsisified" text, so maybe we can take care of it without
doing anything special in the iterator itself.

Anybody knows of another such issue ?

        Stefan