Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]
Date: 28 Jan 2003 13:35:20 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> Gerd, could you help me?  What do you think about it?  The relevant
> codes are not changed from 21.1, so I think any new codes added
> later doesn't affect it.  It also means that this bug has been there
> from 21.1.

Hi Kenichi!

I admit I haven't checked your patch in depth; please bear with me if
I've overlooked something.

When current glyphs are reused, their positions are adjusted for the
changes in the buffer since the glyphs were made current.  The
function try_window_id is one such example.  I didn't see this being
done for the new slot you added to struct glyph.  (Insofar, the
comment of struct glyph doesn't appear to be that devious :).)

Be it as it may, I think I'd rather try to avoid enlarging struct
glyph.  Instead, I'd try using the function string_buffer_position in
the cursor position computation.  Strings aren't displayed frequently,
so the additional function calls shouldn't matter, and anyway,
enlarging glyphs costs performance too, and that in all cases.