Re: Customize Rogue

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:33:05 -0700

David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:

> The only issue is that you have load all the split custom-files in
> your .emacs to ensure that all the customizations are known to
> Custom.

Actually, you do not.  Say you split your settings into .emacs, file
A and file B.  If only .emacs has been loaded, then the
customizations in file A haven't been loaded, *so they won't be
written out when you save your customizations*.  They will be "out of
the loop".

If you do load them, then when you save the customizations, it will
split them back out to whatever files were loaded.  It is a very
straightforward concept, but turns out to work very well.  In three
years of usage, I have not found any complications.

> What was the motivation for writing initsplit.el?  Was there more
> to it than just "to be tidy"?

Nope, just tidyness.  I love things to be beautiful.

John