Re: desktop

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: desktop
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:55:31 +0200

Here's what the manual says now:

     To use Desktop, you should use the Customization buffer (@pxref{Easy
   Customization}) to set @code{desktop-enable} to a address@hidden value,
   or add these lines at the end of your @file{.emacs} file:

   @example
   (desktop-load-default)
   (desktop-read)
   (setq desktop-enable t)
   @end example

Are you saying that the second option is a mistake?
Yes. The desktop module adds an anonymous function to the after-init-hook, this function calls desktop-read.

Otherwise, it looks like desktop-read should set desktop-enable.
Is there a case where people want to use desktop-read without
setting desktop-enable?

Yes. desktop-enable is supposed to enable _automatic_ desktop save and restore. You might want to call desktop-read without the side effect of enabling automatic saving.

      - Get rid of desktop-remove

Why do that?
desktop-remove is, according to the docstring, supposed to "Delete the Desktop file and inactivate the desktop system". If we introduce desktop-save as a minor mode, disabling is should be done by the mode function. Furthermore desktop-remove only removes the desktop file in desktop-dirname, not desktop files in other directories. I think it would be better not to delete any desktop file at all.