Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 22 Nov 2003 18:59:01 -0500

> 1. use a command line XSLT processor (such as xsltproc, part of
>    GNOME's libxsl project) to turn the XML into plain text (or
>    specifically marked up text).

The original reason for discussing such things is that the Info format
has serious limitations w.r.t. additional markup.

"Markup" in this context in the Emacs viewer means "text-properties"
or "overlays", neither of which can be provided directly from a process's
output, so it would just bring us back to square one: which text
representation top use for the markup (either HTML-like or
ANSI-escape-sequences-like, or something else).

I'm not necessarily opposed to using an external tool, but it won't solve
the problem at hand.

        Stefan