Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 25 Mar 2004 14:35:53 +0100

Danilo Segan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Jari,  Lucas, Juanma,

> > And, ` is on AltGR 7 here, so basically absolutely unusable on French
> > keyboard layouts. Of course next-error is bound to something else
>
> Which would only go so far to recommend assigning M-g to next-error,
> perhaps? ;)

This brings me to another pet of mine ...

         M-x compile and M-x recompile

What about using a new "compile prefix" C-x c with bindings like:

C-x c c => compile
C-x c r => recompile
C-x c n => next error
C-x c p => prev error
C-x c g => grep

and:

C-x c l => goto-line

..

Unfortunately, using C-x c has a high danger of someone typing C-x C-c
which is probably why it isn't used :-(

But C-x C-c has always been too risky for my fingers, so I moved
that to C-x C-c C-x a LOOOOOONG time ago.