Re: dired-do-touch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dired-do-touch
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:17:25 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:59:21 +0200
>
> Below is the patch for the new T command.  It uses the external touch
> program and behaves like other dired commands `chmod', `chgrp' and `chown'.
>
> I suggest to install this patch first.  Then I suggest to consider and
> install the patch that allows the initial default values for
> dired-do-touch, dired-do-chmod, dired-do-chgrp, dired-do-chown and
> some other dired commands.
>
> And after this I suggest to install the patch posted by Matthew Mundell
> that uses the new function `set-file-times', with small modifications
> which will allow to use it instead of the external program in cases
> when there is no touch program installed or depending on a new user option.

I don't understand why you insist on using an external program if
Emacs could easily have a primitive to do the same.  I think using an
Emacs primitive is faster, in addition to being more portable.

The patch to add set-file-times is already reviewed by at least 2
Emacs maintainers, and is IMHO ready for being checked in.