Re: Suggestion for autorevert.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Suggestion for autorevert.el
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:02:45 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   I think all the existing code that has to deal with similar issues
   just uses get-buffer-window and ignores the problem of the buffer being
   displayed in several windows.
   So I'm pleasantly impressed by your patch, and at the same time, I'm
   wondering whether it's worth the trouble.

If one is tailing a file in a specially sized small window, one may
want to actually read other portions of the file in another window
without interrupting or disturbing the tailing.  So this is definitely
a situation where visiting a buffer in several windows makes sense.  I
believe that the potential for trouble by ignoring this is much bigger
than the potential for trouble caused by an excessive amount of
constantly reverting buffers.  In the (unlikely) latter case there
probably is already trouble anyway, even without my patch, and, unless
the user really does not care about CPU usage, he probably would have
to clean up his buffer list or disable Global Auto Revert mode.  So I
now believe that there is not even a need for an option disabling the
feature, because whenever the need to do that would arise, one
probably has a problem one needs to take care of in some other way,
regardless.

Sincerely,

Luc.