Re: URL in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: URL in Emacs
Date: 04 Apr 2004 19:46:22 -0400

> Did you put a suitable tag on the URL repository to mark the versions
> that you imported into emacs?  It isn't necessary to do so, but it
> would make it easier to track changes that we might like to import
> later on (in case the two copies divert later on).

No.  Among other things because I don't have write access to the
URL repository.
But I do have a tag on the url/url*.el file in Emacs whose name indicates
the precise time at which I checked out the files, so (barring any
concurrent commit in the URL repository at that time) you can retrieve that
precise revision (and/or tag it) easily.

>From Emacs' point of view I consider URL as an "vendor source" tracked
via the vendore branch, so merging from URL to Emacs should be easy without
any need to worry about the precise version/date I checked it last time.
Just follow the usual "tracking third party sources" procedure from
the CVS manual.

        Stefan