Re: RCS keyword removal

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: RCS keyword removal
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:29:53 +0200

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:10, Miles Bader wrote:

> Ok, I tried this ... and it didn't work.  I did:
>
>    CVSROOT=... cvs co -kb -d test-emacs emacs
>
> and files containing RCS keywords within `test-emacs' still had expanded
> keyword values -- though the expansions were different than the `normal'
> expanded values (they were slightly out of date, and seemed to contain
> info for the revision just prior to the last one).

I think you need to use "cvs co -kk ...".  That explicitly resets the
keywords to their unexpanded form.  It seems that -kb reverts to
whatever form the keyword happens to have in the RCS master file, which
is bogus because it is rewritten upon checkout anyway.  So, -kk ought to
be the right option.

(-kb makes sense for binary files, because if a file happens to contain
something that looks like an expanded RCS keyword, you wouldn't want
that to be reset.)