Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:44:56 -0400

    I haven't been able to measure any actual speed difference on any machine
    I have access to.  Maybe some years ago it made a difference, but it's lost
    in the noise now.

You may be right.  If so, we might want to undocument that use
of x-popup-menu and remove all such calls.

But we should not be hasty in deciding this.  First let's verify that
this is generally true.  Did the machines you tested this on include
some that were rather slow by today's standards?  For instance,
machines of standard power for 5 years ago?

If the precomputation is still useful on 5% of machines in use, it is
worth keeping.  If it is still useful on 3% of machines in use, maybe
it is worth keeping.  If it is only 1%, then I think it is not worth
keeping.  I would think that 5-year-old PCs are several percent of the
PCs in use now, at least; that statistic ought to be available from
some sort of commercial statistics source.  Could someone please look
for this?

Until we determine what's right to do about menu precomputation,
please don't remove calls to x-popup-menu one by one.  The right fix
for this is to make that kind of call to x-popup-menu a no-op when not
using a window system, and put the call back where it was for the time
being.  Ok?