Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:18:34 +0200

> If the precomputation is still useful on 5% of machines in use, it is
> worth keeping.  If it is still useful on 3% of machines in use, maybe
> it is worth keeping.  If it is only 1%, then I think it is not worth
> keeping.  I would think that 5-year-old PCs are several percent of the
> PCs in use now, at least; that statistic ought to be available from
> some sort of commercial statistics source.  Could someone please look
> for this?

I don't have information from a commercial statistics source.
However:  One college I taught at two years ago here in Switzerland
*had* to use computers for at least five years.  This was some
government decision.  Therefore, you would expect a significant
percentage of five year old computers in some Swiss schools.  They
made significant efforts to extend the lifespan of their hardware.

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O  Schroeder's fourth law: