Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:58:15 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I think the height of the space glyph for the tailing
>>  newline should be the default frame line height in the above
>>  case, and the line height must be desided by all glyphs
>>  including the tailing space.

> You are confusing line spacing and line height, I think.  Line
> spacing is the distance by which the _baselines_ of different lines
> are to be set apart unless this could cause overlap.

I don't think I'm confusing.  In my paragraph above, I
really meant line height.  But I should have written more
clearly that "line height must be the maxinum logical font
height (ascent + descent) of faces of all characters
(including the tailing newline)".  Here I think we should
not consider the physical ascent/descent of each glyph which
may be taller or shorter than the the logical ascent/descent
of a font.

> So I think that the space between two baselines should be

> max(line space of newline, max(all glyph depths of upper line,0)
>                           +max(all glyph heights of lower line,0))
> where depth is the extent of a glyph below the baseline, and the
> height is the extent above.

I don't understand what you mean by "line space of newline",
but anyway, I think it's not worth discussing about line
spacing (of your definition).

> We could discuss whether it makes sense to use a maximum value of
> more than the just the line spacing of the newline character (maybe
> of the whole lower line?), but if we do, then the parameter "line
> spacing" should be the same for a complete face (including newline
> and spaces), whereas height and depth are specific to each glyph.

Sorry, I don't understand the above paragraph.  What is "the
parameter line spacing"?  Do you mean the frame parameter
`line-spacing' or a buffer local variable `line-spacing'?
Then they are both a spacing between lines, not the baseline
distance.  Please see what happens by (setq line-spacing 1).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden